My client are a large multi disciplinary consultancy offering professional services in engineering, design and specialist consultancy services across the complex infrastructure, process, tunnelling and built environments.
They focus on complex projects and environments - although problems are never too big nor too small. Their design heritage is based in the science and technology, energy and transport sectors where they have completed many award winning projects that have increased their clients operational and brand success.
Their portfolio has expanded to include new building forms for growing sectors such as waste and renewables as well as innovative work in more traditional sectors that include health, education and custodial.
Responsible for directing, coordinating, and exercising functional authority for planning, organisation, control, integration, and completion of assigned projects.
- Provide appropriate levels of Architectural design to a range of different buildings and elements.
- Work to own initiative and required to supervise team members including Technicians, Graduates and trainees. Supporting professional development accordingly.
- Liaise with other team members in a multi-disciplinary environment to achieve holistic building solutions to client brief in a lead capacity to small and medium sized projects
- You will interact with various internal and external contacts and take responsibility for the delivery of projects within time, quality and budget constraints.
Principal responsibilities and accountabilities
- Plan, schedule, conduct and coordinate the technical and management aspects on assigned projects
- Be fully conversant with the basics of British Standards and Eurocodes with respect to Architectural design, sustainability and specification.
- Review and approve technical design phases of projects. Ensure thorough checking and accuracy of deliverables and record documentation in accordance with company QA procedures
- Create designs and highly detailed drawings and design solutions both by hand and by using specialist computer-aided design (CAD) applications
- Liaise with the customer, project end-users and other construction professionals about the feasibility of a proposed project, including any constraining factors such as planning legislation, environmental impact and project budget
- Write and present reports, proposals, applications and contracts
- Make sure the project is running according to schedule and budget
- Work closely with other members of the design team to deliver safe, efficient and buildable solutions.
- Interact and negotiate with customer project representatives
- Maintain regular contact with all assigned project customers, including the best possible development of personal relationships
- Take responsibility for project and multi-disciplined design team management as lead architect. Excellent team ethic, and ability to work extended hours on occasions when required
- Participate in knowledge sharing across team and locations. Represent MSPS in external project technical meetings if required
- Attend in-house design courses and seminars and feedback to the rest of the department if required.
- Keep up to date with design trends/competitor awareness /design techniques
- Prepare and manage project controls such as; Enquiry plan, TRB review, fee estimate sheets/cost of further work, scope of work and change control preparation.
- Promote and achieve excellent service through Perfect Delivery
Qualifications and training
- Degree in Architecture leading to RIBA chartered membership
- Full UK Driving License
Technical skills and experience
- Proven track record in the delivery of architectural design, in particular on-site experience within the transportation/infrastructure sector
- Fully conversant with the procedures adopted within the rail industry including;
- Presentation of designs to asset engineers for appropriate sign off
- Design guidelines - red materials for specification purposes
- Project processes and gateway review procedures
- CAD standards and document issue process
- Excellent design and technical detailing ability and competent drafting skills in the following;
- Good freehand sketching ability
- AutoCAD / AutoCAD ADT or Revit
- 3D drawing production
- Micro-station V8 preferred
- Sketch Up
- NBS specification writer
- MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- High levels of creativity, imagination, vision and enthusiasm to produce distinctive architectural solutions
- A good knowledge in the production of technical specifications and the ability to use NBS Building and Create.
- Good knowledge and understanding of traditional sustainable building materials.
- A keen eye for the detail of specific tasks, combined with an understanding of how such specifics fit in with the project as a whole
- Knowledge of CDM regulations
- Knowledge of current UK technical standards/publications and legislation requirements
- High level of proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software i.e. word, excel, etc.
- Ability to work accurately and methodically, sometimes under pressure and strict deadlines, including the ability to juggle multiple tasks
- Good time management skills to ensure cost effective and accurate delivery of tasks under their remit
- Effectively manage own time across multiple tasks and prioritise effectively to meet deadlines.
- Good communication style and interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to negotiate both internally and externally to the team
- Ability to work well within a team of other professionals (Civil Structural engineers, service engineers etc) in delivering designs to satisfy the agreed brief
- Track record of providing a quality CAD service as part of a team
- Supervision and Technical mentoring of trainees and other junior CAD staff.
Randstad CPE values diversity and promotes equality. No terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate against any of the protected characteristics that fall under the Equality Act 2010. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are more than happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements as required to support your application.
Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
For the purposes of the Conduct Regulations 2003, when advertising permanent vacancies we are acting as an Employment Agency, and when advertising temporary/contract vacancies we are acting as an Employment Business.