Recession support

Published on: 29 Sep 2009

The RIBA currently runs four scholarship programmes - the Stephen Williams, Norman Foster, Goldfinger and Boyd Auger scholarships. It also runs the Walter Parker bursary scheme, which provides up to £500 to 40 students taking their first year of practical experience each year, and the McAslan bursary which offers up to £10,000 support for individuals or teams focused on community support or environmental projects.

The RIBA education fund offers financial support to students enrolled on part I and part II courses and the RIBA also awards a number of prizes each year. To find out more visit the RIBA Education Department

Individual universities and architecture schools may also offer bursaries to help students cover part or all of their course fees.

Many universities also offer travel bursaries and awards for students specialising in a specific area. You may need to apply for a bursary when you apply for your course or before your course begins. To find out more about the bursaries available from your university or college and deadlines for applications, contact the student support office.

If you think you may have trouble covering the costs your course requires you must inform your university as early as possible to find out if they can help.

Most universities and colleges in the UK will also have a small pot of money available to help students who find themselves in unforeseeable financial difficulty during the course of their studies. This is known as a hardship fund and is awarded on an individual basis, usually in the form of a non-repayable grant.

You can also enter architectural competitions that are open to students.

Some larger practices offer student prizes and others may sponsor students who have completed a work placement with them or who have committed to working with them once they graduate, but this is not usual.