As a Senior Architect at HS2, you will support the Lead Architects role as the design client interface with the engineering design teams of the Main Works Civil Contract (MWCC) and other Design and Build contractors who are developing the design and the works of Depots, Headhouses, Portals and Viaduct structures and other architectural aspects of the HS2 line of route. To assure that specifications and requirements are being met and that the HS2 Design Vision is applied.
The Senior Architect will report to the Lead Architect, interface with the various contractors’ engineering teams, the HS2 Phase One Engineering team, internal HS2 stakeholders, in particular the proxy operator representatives within Infrastructure Directorate (ID) team, and external stakeholders including Local Authorities and their planning officers.
The initial focus of the role will be HS2 Phase One but, in time, this is likely to expand to allow the organisation to benefit from a line-wide view.
About the role:
- Providing specialist technical knowledge and technical support for the Architecture and design-related disciplines and associated delivery support to the HS2 business
- Support the preparation of technical scope input for procurement and help assess tender returns
- Review architecture and design-related discipline requirements by the design suppliers in accordance with the specification and requirements required by ID
- Responding to architecture RFIs.
- Working with various contractors’ designers to prepare for the formal Independent Design Review Panel reviews and to coordinate responses to recommendations made by the Independent Design Review Panel
- Providing technical input for Planning Application packages and conditions closure
- Providing support for the integration of the Architecture and design-related disciplines with the other project disciplines and delivery area teams including civil engineering, landscape, rail systems, environment, third party interfaces, and construction logistics and planning etc.
- Providing a design concept guardian role for the design through its design development and construction
- Supporting the Phase One Engineering Team through detailed design and construction by D&B contractors to ensure project specification and requirements are met
- Providing a design custodian role for the HS2 Design Vision
- Managing the interfaces across individual delivery units to deliver design consistency.
As a Senior Architect, your primary role will be to support the Lead Architect with all aspects of project delivery. The Lead Architect is the asset discipline technical authority and subject matter expert (SME) for all Architecture and design-related matters for Depots, Headhouses, Portals and Viaduct structures and other architectural aspects of the HS2 line of route. Support activities will include:
- Registered Architect (ARB/RIBA)
- Familiar with relevant architectural and/or engineering standards and be able to interpret in a railway/ transportation environment
- Experience of programmes and/or projects with an understanding of how the discipline (Architecture and design-related disciplines) fits within the overall multi-disciplinary context and interdependencies
- Ability to deliver presentations in order to influence a broad audience and a diverse group of stakeholders
- Work package development skills and an ability to execute required work packages
- Ability to focus on high quality design, while working on multiple projects.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential.
Closing date: 14 July 2019.