Principal Engineer- Rail- Lineside, Bridges & Structures
A Consultancy service that form part of a blue-chip corporate group, they offer a client focused approach and value centred service across an array of asset portfolios including: road, railways and utilities networks to name but a few. In this instance my client is looking to add talent to their Rail Services sector, recruiting Principal Engineer across their Lineside, Bridges and Structures team(s). Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Principal Engineer will have the below essential experience, skills and qualifications:
- You must have the correct right to live and work in the UK
- A Chartered Engineer via ICE or IStructE, or working towards chartered status.
- Review and approve the work of others, including calculations, drawings, reports, proposals, bids etc.
- Ability to technically manage and lead a team in the successful delivery of multi-disciplinary railway projects.
- Extensive experience as Contractor's Responsible Engineer
- Strong understanding of draughting and BIM software and steelwork and reinforced concrete detailing.
- Thorough knowledge of engineering management.
- Computer literate and thoroughly conversant with MS Office
- Experience in structural analysis software (Super STRESS, LUSAS, SCALE and Archie) and Project Management software (Primavera or MS Project).
- Excellent experience of the co-ordination of the design process and team management.
- Excellent communication skills dealing with Clients, Contractors, supply chain, other parties, colleagues and disciplines.
- Client focused approach to service delivery and project deadlines.
- 10 years + relevant post-graduate experience in Civil Engineering railway design and or construction.
Key duties and tasks:
- Review and approve feasibility studies, outline and detailed designs in accordance with the Client's requirements and relevant design standards to achieve cost effective, buildable solutions, especially for complex and multi-disciplinary projects.
- Review the preparation and monitoring of the budget for projects including the planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources and finances.
- Have extensive knowledge in relevant railway Group and Company standards, British Standards, and Eurocodes, as well as relevant statutory processes.
- Have a thorough knowledge of the GRIP process and a comprehensive understanding of the requirements and deliverables for the design input for all GRIP stages.
- Review and direct CAD technicians in the development of drawings, details, library of standard details etc.
- Provide guidance and mentorship in the use of appropriate technical / engineering and analysis software including Superstress, Scale and similar.
- Design work, review and technical approval, on all aspects of the railway civil engineering infrastructure, including but not limited to, platforms, lineside equipment bases & structures, footbridges, over and under-bridges, buildings, etc.
- Project planning, programming, cost control and administration; and associated reporting on delivery, resources and budget.
- Enter into detailed technical discussions with approval authorities, consenting bodies, Clients, Contractors, staff, Third Parties and other stakeholder groups, especially for complex projects.
- Review and approve design calculations, contract documentation, drawings, technical documents and project reports complying with current standards.
- Attend internal and external project meetings, act as Civil Engineering design CRE on multi-disciplinary projects; including attending meetings, liaise with supply chain and other third party organisations.
- Maintain high technical standards, consistent with the project brief.
- Ensure compliance with relevant health, safety and environmental legislation through the design and work stages
- Bidding, business development and client relationship management as required.
- Disseminate and brief colleagues on standard updates, project requirements, work activities etc.
- Review and approve effective, value for money and innovative design solutions.
- Develop and supervise, mentor and support a variety of project team members.
- Assist with competency appraisal processes of colleagues.
- Review and approve feasibility studies, appraisal / assessment reports and other written documents.
- Review and approve assessment calculations, design calculations and structural analysis.
- Review and approve design concepts, design details, drawings, specifications and other technical documents.
- Hold the PTS competence, and be able to carry out site visits and surveys as per project requirements.
- Complete performance appraisals with direct reports (if applicable) and provide learning and development opportunities where possible.
- Lead by example with respect to the Integrated Management System, especially the Project Execution Plan, Work Authorisation Form etc. and identifying and managing change.
WHATS IN IT FOR YOU:
In addition to a wealth of autonomy, diversity in work such as TRU and large complex Rail Design projects, a leadership opportunity and continued professional development you will be joining a large diverse team of highly experienced and technically competent Civil Engineers. You will benefit from working with a well known and highly sought after employer of choice; they invest in their people and offer long-term career progress and diverse projects.
- 25 days holidays + bank holidays
- Buy additional holidays up to 5 days
- Pension scheme
- Professional subscription and development
- Hybrid working environment
- The successful appointment will be needed within a reasonable commutable distance from the office, which is preferred in York, Manchester & Derbyshire considered too.
Apply for Principal Engineer- Rail- Lineside, Bridges & Structures
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly