Senior/ Principal Engineer- Rail
4 days left
- Full Time
A Consultancy service, formed as part of a blue-chip corporate group, my client offer a client focused approach and value centred service across an array of asset portfolios including: road, railways and utilities networks to name but a few. In this instance my client is looking to add talent to their Rail Services sector, recruiting Principal Engineer across their Lineside, Bridges and Structures team(s). Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Principal Engineer (and above) will have the below essential experience, skills and qualifications:
- You must have the correct right to live and work in the UK
- A Chartered Engineer via ICE or IStructE, or working towards chartered status.
- Ability to constructively and diplomatically review and approve the work of others, including calculations, drawings, reports, proposals, bids etc.
- Ability to technically manage and lead a team in the successful delivery of multi-disciplinary railway projects.
- Extensive experience as a Contractor's Responsible Engineer, or ability to perform the role without further training.
- Strong understanding of draughting and BIM software and steelwork and reinforced concrete detailing.
- Thorough knowledge of engineering management.
- Computer literate and thoroughly conversant with MS Office suite including Skype, Yammer and Sharepoint, and have experience in structural analysis software (Super STRESS, LUSAS, SCALE and Archie) and Project Management software (Primavera or MS Project).
- Excellent experience of the co-ordination of the design process and team management.
- Excellent communication skills dealing with Clients, Contractors, supply chain, other parties, colleagues and disciplines.
- Client focused approach to service delivery and project deadlines.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant, post-graduate experience in Civil Engineering railway design and or construction.
- Desire to develop existing skills and enhance team capability.
- A proven ability to lead a team with a dedicated approach to meet project deadlines.
- Flexible approach and willingness to develop career and those of colleagues.
- Self-motivated individual with excellent organisation and communication skills
As Principal Engineer (Rail Design) you will lead, mentor and manage a railway civil engineering design team, ensuring full compliance with all relevant technical standards, such as British Standards, Eurocodes, Network Rail Company Standards, Railway Group Standards, etc. Autonomously you will deliver of all the specified project outcomes on time, within budget and to the quality required. As a leader you will Engineers at all levels through projects and assist in professional development and training. Maintaining excellent relationships is essential to the success of this role, this will include external stakeholders including clients, supply chain partners, contractors, sub-contractors, governing bodies and similar.
- Review and approve feasibility studies, outline and detailed designs in accordance with the Client's requirements and relevant design standards to achieve cost effective, buildable solutions, especially for complex and multi-disciplinary projects.
- Review the preparation and monitoring of the budget for projects including the planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources and finances.
- Have extensive knowledge in relevant railway Group and Company standards, British Standards, and Eurocodes, as well as relevant statutory processes.
- Have a thorough knowledge of the GRIP process and a comprehensive understanding of the requirements and deliverables for the design input for all GRIP stages.
- Review and direct CAD technicians in the development of drawings, details, library of standard details etc.
- Provide guidance and mentorship in the use of appropriate technical / engineering and analysis software including Superstress, Scale and similar.
- Undertake a wide range of design work, review and technical approval, on all aspects of the railway civil engineering infrastructure, including but not limited to, platforms, lineside equipment bases & structures, footbridges, over and under-bridges, buildings, etc.
- Undertake and review project planning, programming, cost control and administration; and associated reporting on delivery, resources and budget.
- Enter into detailed technical discussions with approval authorities, consenting bodies, Clients, Contractors, staff and Third Parties, especially for complex projects.
- Review and approve design calculations, contract documentation, drawings, technical documents and project reports complying with current standards.
- Attend internal and external project meetings, act as Civil Engineering design CRE on multi-disciplinary projects
In addition to a wealth of autonomy, diversity in work such as TRU and large complex Rail Design projects, a leadership opportunity and continued professional development you will be joining a large diverse team of highly experienced and technically competent Civil Engineers. You will benefit from working with a well known and highly sought after employer of choice; they invest in their people and offer long-term career progress and diverse projects.
- 25 days holidays + bank holidays, with an option to buy additional holidays up to 5 days
- Pension scheme 6%
- Annual pay reviews
- Professional subscription paid (1 per year)
- Professional development with ICE
- They are currently successfully operating a Hybrid working environment which they envisage long term, however the successful appointment will be needed within catchment area and a reasonable commutable distance from the office, which is preferred in York, Manchester & Derbyshire will also be considered for too.
Apply for Senior/ Principal Engineer- Rail
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly