Malcolm Reading Consultants is the leading independent organiser of international architectural competitions. We believe in the power of design to create new perceptions and act as an inspiration.
This varied role offers the opportunity to work on interesting and fast-moving cultural projects with high-profile global clients. Highly successful within our sector, the MRC team is friendly, supportive and energetic. We help clients commission new museums, contemporary art galleries, libraries, visitor attractions, residential buildings, hotels and resorts, universities and performing arts venues — as well as urban and landscape design projects.
Our competitions attract the world’s leading architects and designers, and our juries often include thought-leaders and famous figures from the worlds of design, media, politics and business.
We are looking for a dedicated and enthusiastic Architectural Consultant to play a key role in an expert team selecting talented designers for landmark projects around the globe. Prospective candidates should be attuned to exemplary design in the cultural, educational and masterplanning sectors, and bring their knowledge and skills to deliver high-quality design competitions.
We value a team-player approach, strong analytical and research skills, as well as an eye for design excellence.
You can look forward to a highly supportive work environment and involvement in many diverse projects at one time, with direct access to senior leadership in top client organisations and leading design firms.
You will be prepared to show initiative, run client meetings, draft high-quality competition materials, undertake international travel and, ideally, be fluent in written and spoken Arabic.
- Research and draft design brief content, extracting key architectural information from client and project materials
- Analyse baseline materials
- Prepare architectural visuals and support the Graphic Designer as necessary
- Provide support to the team’s writers; in time take on responsibility for content development
- With increased experience, input to and develop MRC’s network of global architectural and design studios
- Bring clarity and organisation to all aspects of the day-to-day management of assigned projects, including liaising with the client team, competition entrants, finalist teams, Jury, Technical Panel and stakeholders.
Read the full job description to learn more.
Who we're looking for:
You will need to have an architecture degree with three to five+ years' experience post RIBA Part 2 or equivalent; additionally, research/consultancy experience would be advantageous. Ideally, we seek someone with fluent written and spoken Arabic.
You will be a good fit if you can offer:
- Ability to read at speed and quickly absorb and analyse complex architectural information
- Fluent written and spoken Arabic (including Modern Standard Arabic and, ideally, understanding of Hejazi and/or Najdi dialects)
- Research skills
- Writing skills
- Strong visual and graphic skills including InDesign and Adobe Creative Suite
- Design software skills including CAD, such as Vectorworks (ideally), Autodesk CAD or other CAD packages such as Sketchup; 3D modelling skills would be advantageous
- Good organisational skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
The key attitudes of mind we seek from you include:
- Hardworking and conscientious with persistence and initiative
- Attuned to high-quality design
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, and take responsibility
- Team player attitude – no job too big or small
- Willingness to travel internationally; ability and willingness to travel within the Middle East
We expect to work remotely until at least April 2022 and may continue with this model depending on the business context. However, we plan to have team meet-ups over the coming months and our office in Lincoln’s Inn Fields in central London is open for limited use. We expect opportunities for international business travel to gradually resume over the next few years.
We offer a competitive salary plus a private health scheme, pension contribution, discretionary bonus, and generous holiday allowance. We are a friendly team with a straightforward approach and a passion for quality. The company is expanding and there are good prospects for progression.
To apply, please read the full job description and then send your CV with a covering letter by February 12, 2022. Please explain in your letter why your experience and skills make you a good fit for the position, and why you would like to work for us.
Send it to: Mrs Catherine Reading, Director via firstname.lastname@example.org
Sorry, no agencies.