Your new company
The client is a world leading developer of plants and technologies that convert waste and sustainable biomass into low carbon fuels. The company has managed to scale up very quickly considering that it is being opened in 2019 by commercial and technical experts from a background in the biofuel sector. As they call it internally, "state-of-art" technology, which naturally captures carbon dioxide to generate the negative carbon emissions that are required to meet net-zero commitments.
The client owns and operates the world's first plant to convert household waste into bio-substitute natural gas (BioSNG). The facility, located in Swindon, UK converts over 8,000 tonnes of waste into 22GWh of gas each year while capturing 6,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide. They also partner with major energy companies to develop a series of facilities in the UK, US and Europe that will treat waste, produce low carbon fuels and capture dioxide.
Your new role
- The role is to support the operations of the Compressed BioMethane (CBM) plant in Swindon (the Plant), ensuring the highest possible sustainability, environmental, and quality standards. These requirements necessitate a flexible and adaptive working approach both to developing solutions to challenges and motivating others to follow these demanding standards.
- To take direction from the Operations Director, as to the work needed and timelines required.
- Actively contribute to monthly Sustainability and Environment Meetings.
- Work with the H&S Officer to ensure regular emergency response exercises and drills are conducted to ensure the highest level of preparedness in any emergency, including environmental impacts.
- Ensure all activities to reduce environmental impact are followed (regular reviews, audits, ad hoc checks, and walks)
- Conduct and assist with the investigation of non-conformities and incidents to determine the root cause, prevent recurrence, and identify areas of improvement.
- Undertake briefings on sustainability, environmental standards, and expectations.
- Provide directly and encourage others to provide recommendations for improving sustainability and environmental performance in the workplace.
- Assist in preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual IMS reports, statistics and presentations related to IMS performance.
- Ensure that the environmental emergency plans are communicated to staff and visitors and update registers on training and induction.
- Manage Documented information Control (Documents and records) of all ISO14001 related documents in close partnership with other roles.
- Assist in the development and implementing of emergency response procedures and evacuation plans on site and offices. Ensure that these plans are reviewed and updated regularly.
What you'll need to succeed
- A recognised Environmental Sciences or Sustainability degree or equivalent experience & qualifications.
- Knowledge of ISO 14001 requirements and Integrated Management Systems
- Understanding of the requirements and how to comply with the Environmental Permitting (England & Wales) Regulations 2016.
- Understanding of greenhouse gas assessments and lifecycle analysis.
- Understanding of the criteria for assessing the sustainability of waste, crops and biomass residues.
- Ability to work safely, and to ensure the safety of others, complying with all safety assessment requirements.
- Ability to take a leading role in and champion site sustainability and environmental standards.
- Ability to provide training and direction to others.
- Ability to use and modify Microsoft files (Word, Excel, SharePoint, PowerPoint, Teams).
What you'll get in return
- Company pension
- 25 days' holiday per year (pro rata)
- Life Assurance x 4 Salary
- 24 hours GP helpline and second opinion
- Well-being support - including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app
- Employee online discount
- Training and development
- Cycle to Work Scheme
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you, but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion about your career.