As the sole supplier to the HM Prison Service for the provision of support operatives, Hays is seeking to recruit Security Operative (OSG) for HMP Woodhill. The roles could start as soon as you are cleared to work in the prison service and these are long-term roles which although initially temporary, you have the same opportunities as anybody else to apply for a directly employed role within the service. This role will include working night shifts, evenings, weekends, and Bank/Public holidays on a rolling shift pattern.
As part of the operations group you will be responsible for assisting in the safety and security of the establishment. Your duties will include but not limited to the below:
- gate/portal duties: ensure the secure entry and exit of staff, visitors, vehicles; carry out searches of staff, prisoners, visitors, contractors and vehicles; issue and collect staff keys/radios.
- control room: operate the establishment radio system and monitor CCTV ensuring all suspicious activities are reported.
- visits: book visits; identify and process visitors on their arrival, escort them if required
- censors/correspondence: monitor/log mail and report any illicit or contraband items, maintaining the preservation of evidence.
- night duties: ensure cell doors are locked/secure and all prisoners are safely accounted for.
- reception: assist in supporting appropriate tasks in reception; photograph prisoners; collate documentation for the property process; search/x-ray incoming prisoner property and parcels; receive items for prisoners and check all seals are intact on property storage.
- prisoner supervision: supervise prisoners as required; undertake prisoner clothing/property exchange and assist officers with free flow movement.
- food delivery: food trolley delivery and collection, which may involve the use of an electric tug vehicle.
- driving duties: transport prisoners and their escort to their destination in the cellular vehicle; collect mail from local sorting office.
- phone calls: monitor the Personal Identification Number (PIN) system, maintaining the log of PIN Phone requests from prisoners; complete all relevant paperwork keeping an audit trail of conversations; check that legal numbers are registered solicitors.
- procedures and protocol: understand and conform to national and local policies, responding appropriately to invoke emergency procedures and the actions required in relation to incidents.
No formal qualifications or previous experience is required for this role. However, applicants with security backgrounds are highly desirable. The nature of the OSG role requires candidates to be security conscious and able to challenge potential compromises and risks, you will also need to be reliable and consistent, level headed and have exceptional interpersonal skills.
Successful applicants will be assessed based on the following competencies: Acting with integrity, respecting others, building relationships, team working, communicating effectively, developing self and others.
Full training is provided and paid for by the establishment / department.
Security Clearance required unless already cleared so new applicants will all be subject to the HM Prison Service Security Clearance procedure which can take up to 6 months . You must hold a Valid Passport or Birth Certificate & Photo Driving Licence in your current address. All applicants must be able to provide details of 2 satisfactory references, at least one from an ex-employer.
What you need to do now
If you\'re interested in this role, click \'apply now\' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.